Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Raw Blessings

"You haven’t been honest either with me or about me — not the way my friend Job has… My friend Job will now pray for you and I will accept his prayer” 
Job 42:7-8 MSG

I stood there, holding my child's face against my chest as she let her tears flow. I hurt for her, but I also felt a sense of thankfulness that she had confided in me, entrusting me with her broken heart. It occurred to me that these moments are gifts, given to us by another person so that we can walk with them through their pain. Real relationships are built on raw vulnerability, in which we share our struggles and sorrows. Without such interaction and transparency, relationships have no substance. 

That's just how God feels about us, honored when we come to Him with vulnerable and honest hearts. I had never understood this about Him until that moment. We honor Him when we share our raw hearts, not just our thankfulness and happy times. You see, sharing the good moments in life require no real revelation of what is deep inside of us. Most of us would prefer that people to see us only when we're happy for that very reason. But it takes trust and courage to share the raw, ugly, hard stuff. It takes a leap of faith.

Think about it. Our hearts tend to celebrate the good stuff even more so with those we have shared pain with. We can't truly get to know one another in our good moments alone, since life isn't really life without some pain. We have to experience the good with the bad, the pain with the joy in order to truly connect. But there is just something about the pain that rallies people together like nothing else can. Most of all, it brings us closer to God when we share our bare hearts, not because He doesn't know, but because He loves the leap of faith reflected in our hearts when we do so.

Don't be afraid to be honest with God about how you feel. He already knows. He isn't offended; He is honored that you would conscientiously reach toward Him to walk with you in you trials. And when you become truly secure from that relationship with Him, He will give you the courage to be truly honest with others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment