Friday, January 31, 2014

Mrs. I Can't Fix It

Recently my eyes were opened to how much I try to fix things that are outside of my ability. I have it so ingrained in my head that I have to fix whatever is broken that I keep trying to the extent that I don't know a stopping point. And then I wind up discouraged when I fail. Now our society would tell me that this makes me a hero but what's been revealed to me is that it's actually a shortcoming for my spiritual life and personal relationships. It takes more faith to pray, hold my tongue and listen for God's guidance than to rack my brain looking for ways to hurry things along. It takes incredible faith to wait and be still. I am so guilty of subconsciously trying to fix things instead of waiting on God to work, simply because my fears drive me instead of my faith. Ouch!

Waiting goes far beyond the ways in which many of us tend to simplify it.  For me it means I have to stop playing Mrs. Fix-it and admit that my way doesn't work partly because I am trying to perform a role that simply isn't mine. In the professional environment, it's widely known that we stay off of the toes of others by being respectful of role boundaries. We don't assume the role of others unless asked to. But in my own spiritual life I fail to practice this with my Creator and King. How dare I think myself so great that I try and assume the role of changing a heart or opening eyes that is merely His. 

Can you relate? Surely I am not the only Mrs. Fix-it there is. It's so crucial in this world of fixers that we remember that can't change ourselves and need God's gracious strength. It isn't about will-power. It's another one of those roles we cross when we don't ask for and lean on the help we need. We have to rely on Him continuously.  I am so thankful that He doesn't show me things and say, " Now you fix it...I'm leaving."

Please pray for me as I don't want to miss the lessons, nor can I afford to. God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment