Thursday, September 24, 2015

Pride's Illusions

For who makes you superior? What do you have that you didn't receive? If, in fact, you did receive it, why do you boast as if you hadn't received it? Already you are full! 1 Corinthians 4:7-8

"I earned everything I have." I've heard it a lot in my life and have even said it. Little did I know that I really couldn't have done it on my own. I was able to work because of God's blessing of health. I had the job because of God's blessing of favor with the employer. I was able to fulfill my job duties because of the abilities God gave me. I didn't muster up this stuff and I couldn't have. My life very well could have gone differently even with the same amount of effort I applied. Knowing the brokenness of this world, every single thing I tried could have been twarted, and even then I couldn't cry out injustice against God. 

This pride we have deep within us poses a problem. It allows us to cling to our opinions and our "abilities" as idols. It allows us to set ourselves in places where we don't belong and it keeps us far from our Creator, the one, true God. We have this idea that we are really the biggest deal since sliced bread, but that's because we've been listening to our enemy. Satan doesn't give us a healthy self worth; he gives us the illusion of power and control. 

I'm not talking self hate. I don't want to cause anyone shame; shame is not of God. I'm speaking of the importance of knowing our proper places, abilities and value. If any of these things come from our own desires or opinions, not from who we are in Jesus, we must repent and begin to agree with what God says over what we think. Yes, He values us. He loves us. He strategically places us when we are humble enough to listen. But those things come from who God is and not how good we are. Otherwise, grace would be a moot point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment